Thursday, March 31, 2011

Slice of Life Post Day 31- March 31

This morning I was reading about homosexuality and how to address it in the classroom.  One of the things I started thinking about was my compassion for those who are bullied.  As a elementary, middle school, and early high school student I was subject to several instances of bullying.  While I try not to live in the past and for the most part am happy with who I have become, there are hard days where I remember the hurtful things people have done to me.  I am greatful for those experiences because they have given me greater compassion and understanding.  But at times the pain is hurtful, the effects on my belief in myself become obvious, and I still get weary of people when they tease me believing that they may just be wanting to point out whatever those other bullies saw.  They saw some weakness and tried to feed on it to reach their own.  It's important that we address bullying and not in the what has become comical "big kid flips little kid upside down to get money" - but in the real way that people affect each other.  We need to teach our students that "no man [or woman] is an island" - what we do does have an affect.  Refusing our responsibility for the ways we can affect people's lives is irresponsible, inconsiderate, and immature.  We can't always be there as teachers to stop bullying- but we can take a clear stance against it when we have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment